Saturday, July 28, 2012

SUMMER OLYMPICS!!!!

So I was thinking, yesterday on my walk, how perfect would it be to have my water break on my walk, then be in serious labor during the Olympic opening ceremonies, and then have the baby right after midnight.  Then we could go to sleep, and wake up with happy times.

That did not happen.:)
Oh well.

So instead of posting super cute new baby pictures I will write a few thoughts on the Olympics.

I LOVE the summer Olympics.  My son was born right before the last summer Olympics, and it is just super fun to be having a baby around this time again. I remember it POURING down rain and creating our very own Chinese Olympic rice patty, atleast a foot deep....that completely soaked into the ground in less than an hour...VEGAS.:)

I LOVE the feeling of the Olympics.  There are a ton of cynics out there who go on and on and on about the materialism and so forth that sometimes surrounds the Olympic Games, but what *I* love is the world unity it brings out in people.  I love watching a game and seeing someone not quite make it, but still be smiling, and being congratulated on their great effort by other country team mates. 

I love that school children in England chose different countries to sponsor and cheer for.  I mean, if that isn't the true spirit of fair play I don't know what is.:)

Last night we let the kids stay up to watch the opening ceremonies and it was such a blast.  We had lots of crayons and paper so they could make all the different flags to cheer the different countries on in the next few weeks.  It was fun teaching them about different countries and cultures through the medium of the Olympics.

Anyways, some of the things I loved about the opening ceremonies:


-the lighting of the big flame! Holy cow that was GORGEOUS!! The view from underneath the flames was breath taking.


-Rowan Atkinson.  Oh man, I think he is so hilarious.  I am so glad he had a moment of awesome at the ceremonies.:)


-Paul, it was so completely delightful singing "na na na na na na na" with you.:)


-OK, was I the ONLY one getting a mega LOTR vibe in this part of the ceremonies?:) FORGING THE ONE RING...I mean, come on.;)

Anyways, we are so excited to watch the games here.  We have a super ghetto tv that gets horrible reception, even with an antenna, so we have had to totally temporarily rearrange our living room to accomodate the games, but it is worth it.:)  Beach volleyball....ohmygator....SO EXCITED!!!! I didn't really grow up in a sports mania home, but I am excited about the Olympics.  We will be rooting on all sorts of favorite countries.:)

Well, my tummy has been crazy all day today.  Could be practicing, could be the real thing.  Probably just practicing, but you never know.  It looks like a storm is brewing outside....MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!:)

Happy Saturday!

QUESTION: What is YOUR favorite thing or favorite part of the Olympics?  Who are YOU rooting for?:)

2 comments:

  1. I always root for America (obviously), Germany, England, Japan, and Israel. I always want anyone to beat the Russians, probably a holdover from my Cold War Childhood. I also want anyone to beat East Germany for the same reason, but that's not an issue anymore since they don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Becky came over to watch the opening ceremony with me and she commented how the first songs that the children sang all were reverent songs about God. Beautiful voices singing beautiful melodies of respect and love for our Heavenly Father. Reverent is how I feel about the Olympics. They give me a hope for a future when we can be a human family in peace together. It may not happen until the Millennium, but I know it will eventually come, and this gives me a taste of the beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete