Monday, July 9, 2012

Afraid to make mistakes? ETHER 12:27 DUDE.:)





SO, you know what the above has in common?
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW
I AM POSTING ALL THESE PARTICULAR PICTURES TODAY?!?!
ANY ONE WANT TO GUESS BEFORE I TELL YOU
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Anyone?!?!?



ME! ME! CHOOSE ME!!

OK YOU(ME, whatever:).

I will tell you whyfore all these BYU pix are being posted on Clair's blog today(for her THIRD POST OF THE DAY PS....oh brother...makes you wish she was back on facebook huh?:)

CLAIR HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED BACK AS A BYU STUDENT FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER TERM!!!!!
(January 7, 2013 is the first day of school!!!)
I AM SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

AND NERVOUS AS ALL GET OUT!
You see, I am entering as an English major. OH BROTHER.
I have a huge testimony of Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto men their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then I will make weak things become strong unto them."

English, spelling, grammar, writing in general, communicating in general....yeah, those are all basically weaknesses of mine.:) 

I really love words and communication. 
I really love self expression.

I am also someone who does not appreciate ego. 
THERE IS A LOT OF EGO in the literary world.
HOLY MOLY.
I have known a few exceptions to this thought.  My room mate in college is one of them.  If she has harsh words for the unlearned(to the English Major's opinion) she is THE MOST tactful about it, and she always loves the people first and foremost.  She is one the kindest individuals I have ever known period.:)

I think people get so distracted by the grammar and so forth that they forget about the point of words.
COMMUNICATION.
And that word----> "COMMUNICATION" has very little to do with words and SO MUCH MORE to do with PEOPLE.

PEOPLE.  You remember those?  Outside your window there?  You know, what the books are about and written by?

I LOVE PEOPLE. LOVE PEOPLE.

And that is what the English major is about for me.  Learning more about the thoughts of lots of different people and how they communicate those thoughts and learning how to express MY OWN thoughts better.:)

 BUT that being said, and back to the weaknesses thing, DUDE.  DUDE.  DUDE. 
I am a bit terrified out of my mind.

I was talking to a friend over the weekend about how in art you have to be unafraid to make mistakes because if you let yourself be afraid you will NEVER get your creations created.  That masterpiece will just stay right there in your head. FOREVER.

I feel that way about writing. 
Writing is scary.

My experience at university before was to write my college paper, spell check it, and then turn it in with never a look back.

Not very smart.

But I was so afraid of reading it and finding it so full of flaws that I would have no idea how to fix.

SO I embark in this new ENGLISH MAJOR with a purpose.
TO BETTER MYSELF.

I am so excited. I have never felt so right on the correct path and so full of "I have no idea WHY I am on this path!?!?!  WHERE WILL IT LEAD?!?!"

I have NO ambition to write a novel, or any such thing.
Not really.

I still don't know what exactly I have to say to the world.
I still don't know the purpose of Clair...as far as writing goes.
All I know is that I feel purpose there.
And that is an exciting feeling.

I love BYU SO MUCH.  I LOVE BYU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel SO BLESSED to get to go back and attend school there.

HAPPY DAY.

8 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! Be fearless! And enjoy your education! Studying art in any form, writing included is the best and most awesome way to connect with humanity. Good choice! Can't wait to see where it takes you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I AM SO EXCITED!! I WILL be fearless...well, at least I will try very hard to be!!:)

      Delete
  2. Exciting! What kind of degree is this? You've gotten a masters in herbology, right? So are you getting a PhD? BYU is my favorite. Period. Always has been - you should see some samples of my elementary artwork. SO much of it was BYU-if-ied. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finishing my Master Herbalist degree next summer, but I am also starting back at the Y for winter semester to finish my BA in English.:) I thought about finishing in some kind of nutrition field(to go along with my MH), but I think the discrepency in philosophy on nutrition would have driven both me and the program people CRAZY. By going English I am fullfilling a LONG TIME childhood dream of majoring in lib arts, and only THEY(English program people) will be annoyed(by my super needing english grammar/etc. reform.;). I am excited.:)

      Delete
  3. English is a great choice - a technical degree with a lot of depth. But aren't you saying that you want a degree in Communications? I'm a little confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The communications degree is more like journalism, tv, radio, that kind of thing. It is a bit confusing. I want to study communication by the written word and the arts.

      Delete
  4. Congrats!!! So glad to welcome a fellow English major to the fold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel. Love you so millions.:) I am way excited and way nervous to the max!:)

      Delete