Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thoughts for Thursday:)

Last night I had BJ retake the color test.  I read the questions to him and sometimes got very silly.:)
One of the questions was: If a friend crosses you, you: a,b,c,d.....I don't know what possessed me, but I said, "If a friend crosses you, you...a)kill THEM!" followed by hysterical laughing. BJ laughed too.(I think we were very tired people...:) And then we looked at each other and knew once again how much we love being together...especially when we are being silly together.  It was really fun talking about each other's answers, and learning more about each other.  I love BJ so much.  I love learning everything about him. The color code has been a huge part in understanding each other better. It has really helped our communication A LOT.

BJ and Jane:)

Something else I have been thinking about is the self discovery I have had through reading the scriptures.  I have a million books over there on my desk about different ways to find your purpose, find yourself, find your joy, etc....And they are all really great books!  Thoreau is over there.  What an interesting guy.  He wants you to live with purpose.  Anne Morrow Lindberg is over there as well.  Her book GIFTS FROM THE SEA is one of the most important books for every woman to read.  So many beautiful insights into women, people, family,  life, etc.  She also writes about how women don't just have a need to do, but to do purposefully.  I feel that.  I hate a busy work to do list.  I want the things I spend my energy on to be meaningful.

So back to the scriptures.  All those other books are great, but the scriptures(and I am including any words from the prophets as well) have something that those other books lack.  The other books are beautiful and inspiring for sure, but the scriptures open a conduit to heaven that can tell you more about yourself than anything else I've ever experienced.  I really believe that when we invite the spirit into our soul that real learning and discovering can take place.

I remember one time I was visiting my sister Heidi and I was sitting in a chair studying the scriptures and reading a conference talk by President Monson.  He asked a question, I don't remember what it was, and I started writing down an answer in my journal.  TEN PAGES LATER I had made some startling discoveries about some things I had been stressed out about in my life.  And they didn't really have a lot to do with what the talk was about.  I guess that is self discovery through scripture reading combined with journaling, if you want to be super specific.:) I also found some answers to those stresses.  But mostly, I was surprised by the insights about MYSELF that I found.

I think we are sent here for a purpose unique to each of us.  We have been given, all of us, such a unique experience in this life.  We have individual talents and strengths and weaknesses.  Heavenly Father is such a wise manager in this, and I really believe that because of our uniqueness we all have something meaningful to contribute in this life.  And to do that, I think we need to know as much as we can about ourselves.  Building a relationship with heaven, and making the spirit a huge part of our lives will aid us to the nth degree.:)  And reading and studying the scriptures is a really good way to do that.  Not just because the whole plan of happiness is contained therein, or because we have wonderful examples of ordinary and imperfect people doing extraoridnary and amazing things, but because when we do anything that turns ourselves to heaven we invite the spirit to become our teacher.

I super stink at making time to read my scriptures, and study them everyday.  Every time I go to church, or conference, or listen to or read something where I can feel the spirit I ALWAYS get prompted to study my scriptures everyday.  So that is something I am going to make a bigger priority and goal in my life. And one of the reasons why I want to do that is because I want to live a more purposeful life.  I want to know myself better so I can know what good I can do in this life.:) Clair has a unique purpose here, and I want to know what it is so I can do it as only I can.:)



TODAY'S CHALLENGE: Read your scriptures today. Be mindful of the promptings of the spirit while you are reading.  Even if you only read for a minute or two it is amazing how efficient the spirit can be to teach you something in a short amount of time.:)  Just one more way of finding your joy!!! 


This week's give away is super awesome!  A copy of MY LIFE IN FRANCE will be sent your way if you win!!! Whoohoo!!! Happy Friday Eve!!!


2 comments:

  1. Three times in my life I've had chemical depression. The last time was 15 years ago, but it was severe enough to scare me silly. I went to the doctor, the bishop, and a counselor to get strategies to stay alive. They gave me a combination of three simple actions that have worked for me ever since. 1. 15 minutes of sunshine daily. 2. 15 minutes of exercise (at least walk) daily. 3. write in a journal. My doctor warned me that if I feel it coming on again, I need to see her quickly for some meds, and I appreciate that and will do it, but the collective wisdom of these people has kept me healthy so I haven't needed any meds. The journal was an essential piece. In journaling, I was able to pour out my heart, then review what I'd written and discuss these feelings with myself to see which ones I truly believed and wanted to own. And what I was going to do about these feelings - how to change myself for the better. It was like the petcock on the pressure cooker. Removing it let me blow off the pressure/steam of worry, sadness, helplessness to move forward into positive doing. That was a rough time, and I'm glad I was able to find a strategy that worked to keep me healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journaling is SO POWERFUL! I am glad you found something that worked to get you through hard times too.:) Sunshine/exercise/journaling sounds like a perfect combo!

      Delete