Friday, April 6, 2012

A chocolate wherein ye shall crave no more.(BONUS POST! cause the AWESOME grandparents took the babies for a walk!)



You know those beautiful scriptures about the Savior being the bread that if you eat ye shall not hunger, and the water that if ye shall drink ye shall thirst no more?  Well, this is what I think.  If the Savior came today, and spoke to the women of the world I think He would say, "Behold, I am the chocolate wherein if ye shall eat, ye shall crave no more."  I hope that isn't too sacrilegious to post.  I really believe it is true.

Now before I go on, I have to tell you. I LOVE CHOCOLATE.  In fact, I was actually chemically addicted to it for a long time.  If I did not have some everyday my hands and body would literally shake until I did.  NO JOKE. TRUE STORY.  Emotional eating runs in my family.  When my birth Dad died this last summer and we were cleaning out his food a bit we found junk food upon junk food.  A lot of it was just really easy to put together foods like hamburgers and fries.  He was a single Dad so that was understandable, but THERE WAS A TON OF IT.  I know he was alone a lot too.  He had many good things in his life, but also a ton of hard things.  And he was seriously overweight and unhealthy.  I think there is a connection somewhere in here.

I know that when my husband and I are stressed we for sure reach for the chocolate.  And I think that is OK.....to an extent. But as we have gone through ginormously impossible years these last several years I have thought a lot about how I reach for chocolate way before I reach for my Savior. Chocolate is right there.  It is physical.  Eating comfort food is something tangible that I can DO.  Praying and listening and waiting for the peace of the spirit is less tangible most of the time.  It requires A TON more effort on my part most of the time.  When I am stressed that is usually when I have the least amount of effort to give.

I don't know how to express myself in words with what I have been feeling about all of this in the last few months, but here goes:

When I am stressed I want to reach for my Savior first.  He is right there waiting for me to reach for Him.  I was in the temple yesterday thinking about how much our Heavenly Father and Jesus love us.  When they put Adam and Eve in the garden I thought about how much love they had for them, and how full of joy they must have been to give them such a beautiful world to live and grow in.  Heavenly Father and Jesus love me back.  Chocolate is so divine, but it doesn't love me back.  In fact it makes me fat and unhealthy! It gives me a high and then I need more!  Heavenly Father and Jesus' love also make me crave more, but in the best, healthiest, most peaceful way. 

This next week I am going on a personal challenge.  I will also give daily challenges like usual, but I have given myself a personal quest.  I am NOT giving up chocolate.  Let's not lose our heads please, and start throwing rocks or something.  But when I am stressed or worried or whatever else makes me want to just bury myself in the covers of my bed with a boatload of chocolate, I am going to first turn to my loving Heavenly Father and to my Savior. I am going to put what I say I believe into practice. You can join me to if you feel inspired to.:)

I know that my Heavenly Father and my Savior love me so personally.  I know they love us ALL so personally and that they are more aware of our struggles than we are!  Isn't that incredible to imagine!  My trials and problems feel so real! I know they already have worked out a plan for me to get through my trials and struggles.  And as soon as I am ready they are totally there to let me in on it.:)

I am really excited about this challenge.  Do you ever get a prompting and just know that if you do it that you are going to learn all sorts of new and amazing things?:)  I am so pumped! I know also that these kinds of experiences are usually made by difficult times....sooooo I am a little trepidacious as well.:) I'm in the Lord's school now!:)

3 comments:

  1. You had me at 'chocolate'. :) Great post. I am super struggling lately. I feel like I start the day with my tank at nearly empty - I have nearly zero patience for my children. I have minimal motivation. I really need to get some positivity flowing here. This blog and your posts are really timely. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reminder that when we need something, Christ is our #1 solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am mildly (?) addicted to chocolate. Dark, dark chocolate. Which for an overweight diabetic is not a good thing, even if dark chocolate is the good chocolate. I have been seriously cutting back, but what a struggle! I think your post will help me. When I want to reach for the chocolate, I will let that remind me to reach for the Savior first, deeper, richer, more scrumptious than chocolate. But that does not mean I am giving up chocolate either!

    ReplyDelete