Monday, May 14, 2012

Word.

This last weekend and today have been all about WORDS for me.

Thinking about words.  They can be a really good thing. Hearing I love you from your babies or sweetheart or Mom.:)  Talking about our dreams and passions with our BFF's.:)  Making bright plans for the future with your Beloved.  Spreading the good news of God.  Words can rock!

Words can also super stink.  "Eating Crow" and "foot in the mouth syndrome" SUPER come to mind.

Words can uplift us to amazing heights or make us sink into the pits of despair.

This last few days I have used words to communicate love to my family. Today I used words with REALLY GOOD INTENTIONS that led to SERIOUS foot in the mouth regrets. (palm to the forehead FOR REAL). During the weekend my Beloved and I used words in less than savory ways to try and communicate our hurt feelings, and then used our words to make up and speak truths that are eternal.:)

Words and truth.  Those go together in a big way.

I have been thinking a lot about truth.  And a lot about confidence.  Did you know they are related?

I once asked BJ how he gained his confidence.  What does he do or think or feel to be so confident. 
His reply surprised me.

He said that to be confident all you have to do is be perfectly honest with yourself and with others.

Now I am SERIOUSLY a genuine person.  I hate secrets.  I hate lying.  I hate manipulation.

BUT at the time of this conversation with BJ I realized that I was not a confident person. If I don't do those other things, doesn't that mean I am completely honest?

Come to find out the answer was NO.

Even though I didn't lie to people, I did hold back WAY TOO OFTEN. I wouldn't stick up for myself.  I wouldn't say what was on my mind in important conversations. I would agree to things I didn't want to.  I would give in and let people do things around me that made me unhappy.  I would say I would love to babysit your crazy kids, when really I would be too tired and didn't want to.That is what I HAD been doing about 6 months ago.  AND I DON'T ANYMORE.  Or at the very least it is SERIOUSLY RARE.  And my confidence is WAY....at least improved.:)

It is so interesting to me what we feel we can't talk about or be honest about with each other.  ESPECIALLY WITH OTHER WOMEN.

So now when I don't want to or emotionally/physically/etc can't do something I don't.  I say no.  When I wonder what someone is thinking about me, I ask.:) When someone is offering to watch my kids and I wonder if they are just being nice, instead of just feeling awkward, I ask them what is motivating them. And then it isn't awkward anymore.  I wish I could think of better examples so you could understand what I mean better.:) 

I still believe in tact.  I still believe we carry a heavy responsibility to use our freedom of speech in appropriate ways.  But I am more honest.  And it is so freeing. It is confidence building to the max. It is good to not be afraid to say what you are feeling and thinking.  It feels good to be open and unafraid.  It builds better relationships and seriously lessens miscommunication oppurtunites. WHICH IS MY FAVORITE. Thumbs up!!! 

Today's Challenge: BE COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND OTHERS TODAY.  If you have questions, ask them.  If you have something to say, say it! Listen to the spirit, but don't hold back.  Try it out.  It is so interesting what you will find out about yourself. :)

2 comments:

  1. Honesty. That one can be tricky. I have gotten more honest as I have gotten older. So far...so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR REAL it can be tricky to the max!:) I also think that it can be tricky to remember to think and make sure I know what my honest opinion is BEFORE I am honest with others, if you know what I mean.:) Hence my familiarity with foot in the mouth syndrome.:) It feels really good to be open and honest though. Really good.:) Happy sigh.:)

      Delete