Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Color me happy:)

I wanted to name this post: TODAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES!!!..or rather today while I am SO GRATEFUL FOR CLOUD COVER!!

But that title actually has nothing to do with this post, I just REALLY wanted to use it.:)  Last night was SO HOT! I am SO GRATEFUL for a cool cloudy morning.:)  I WILL TAKE IT!:)

*****
Yesterday the TV broke for a few hours.  I think it was an act of God.  That really happened one other time to me as a youth.  I was a teen with a tiny TV in my bedroom watching who knows what till who knows what hour.  I kept getting promptings that I should go to sleep.  IT WAS LATE.  Like WAY past 2am late. I kept ignoring such promptings....and then the TV broke.  It just turned off for NO REASON.  The next morning it was perfectly fine again.  I think the Lord was taking charge of his rebellious daughter in that moment.

Yesterday I learned a different lesson.  Or rather, I was reminded of something I needed to be reminded of. 

While it is AWESOME on sick days to have the option of TV, it is not always THE BEST option. And it is for sure not THE ONLY OPTION.

Yesterday when the TV broke temporarily, I did not panic, but I was like, "LAME." Alice was sick and recovering from bad dehydration.  I would probably have cranky kids ALL DAY while I was trying to take care of her and them.

Instead, you know what happened? THEY found paper.  THEY found color crayons.  AND THEY thought of drawing pictures of our family.  Hello Mom! Duh!




Alice drew a circle with scribbles inside and said it was my tummy with Heidi Rose inside.:)



Denny drew a picture of himself as a ghost. With one big foot and one little foot....because he thought that was FUNNY! I thought it was funny too.:)


Jane drew the masterpiece of the day.  She drew all of us, including Heidi Rose, who she was holding in the picture(SO DARLING!), AND she wrote all our names above us.  Not perfectly, and with a tiny bit of help from mom, but most of the names she did herself.


TV can be a nice option.  DRAWING PICTURES IS BETTER. I am grateful for the remembrance.  It doesn't mean we won't be ever watching TV again. Or that drawing pictures is ALWAYS going to be the better option.It means that I can remember that I have options besides the tv that don't take up hardly any of my energy, which is REALLY important lately as I have been trying to get the house in order and make a baby at the same time.:)

Yesterday I remembered that their ARE options.  And I remembered how dear these sometimes DESTROYING angels are.:) I remembered other things too, but this was the main lesson.:)



I am so grateful for a patient Heavenly Father who is there to teach my how to be a better parent everyday. It is nice to know I don't just have to wing it everyday.:)

Today's Challenge: Post favorite activities you have with your kids that don't involve technology(TV, computer, etc).  What were YOUR favorite things to do as a kid?  Happy Wednesday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Drawing ninja turtles, playing with ninja turtles, and watching ninja turtles were my favorite activities at a certain age. LEGOs were also always in the picture.

    ReplyDelete